Well, since I have had the opportunity to watch more football than any other time of the year, I thought I would post about it. I do love watching football. Seriously. I have always enjoyed it and it is even more fun now that I have learned more about the game and how its played. I really enjoy it. Now, before you get the idea that my football loving husband is the luckiest man in the world, you should know some things about how I watch football.
1. The feel good story that comes on before the game...you know, where they tell you all about the heart of the team that's about to play...that story is 100% for me. I am now a Middlebury College fan for life because for the last 50 years freshmen athletes have gone to pick up a man named Butch for every sporting event. You can see a video about it here. By the way, Middlebury College is in Vermont. I had to look it up, but I will always cheer for them just because of Butch.
2. I root for the Baltimore Ravens. Not because Ray Lewis is one of the best players of all time. But because the quarterback's name is Flacco, which reminds me of Falco, which was the name of Keanu Reeves character in the Replacements and who doesn't love Keanu Reeves, right?
3. I cry almost every time someone gets hurt. I realize that its football, but that 6'3" 350 pound pile of muscle is somebody's baby boy and she is probably sitting somewhere just praying that he's okay. I know they get paid lots of money and that is a risk you take when you play football, but I'm pretty sure that mother is not consoled by that as she waits to see if he moves his arms.
4. I tend to root for teams that are more...asthetically pleasing. If the coach and quarterback are "prettier" I usually root for them. I will always root for Tom Brady over Aaron Rodgers, especially when Tom's hair is long like it is now. It's probably wrong, but that' s just the way it is.
5. Same thing for the team colors. I will never be able to root for a team who wears bright orange and plays on a blue field. Sorry, Boise State, but it hurts my eyes. (Of course, Tennessee orange on a regular field is just fine) And, while we're on the subject, the throwback uniforms are never a good idea. Especially when you are Tampa Bay. When you changed the uniform from that hideous orange color, you started actually winning games. You should probably never wear those uniforms again. I'm just sayin'.
6. The last thing is that I sometimes want to call in and remind the commentators that, when they are commenting on these college bowl games, they are criticizing 18-22 year old kids. Actually, I felt that way this whole season for the Vols. A true freshman quarterback! Be nice to him! He's just a baby!
One last thing...Yes, I am a Tennessee fan. After that, I am an SEC fan. So, on January 10th, Go War Eagles! I mean, in what universe does a Duck bring fear? Go Auburn!
Taking Disney by Storm--October 2014
2 years ago